Friday, October 19, 2007

Meet the Candidates, Part 1

There has been some voting in the favorite hymn poll, but not as much as I'd expected. Is it possible that some of you just don't really know the candidates? Let me try to fix that with a few postings. Here is the first offering:

Meet "This is My Father's World"-- a candidate for the Green party of hymns and a really lovely American romantic poem.

This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
his hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world,
the birds their carols raise,
the morning light, the lily white,
declare their maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world.
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King; let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let the earth be glad!
It was written by a minister named Maltbie Babcock (there's a name for you!) and is said to have been inspired by his long runs through the countryside near Niagara Falls, New York. The story told of Rev. Babcock is that he would head out for his daily four-mile run by telling his secretary he was off to see his Father's world.

Be glad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessed Assurance is a Christian hymn with lyrics written in 1873 by Fanny J. Crosby (1820-1915) to Phoebe P. Knapp's (1839-1908) tune known as “Assurance”.

Crosby reported that Knapp played the melody for her on the piano, who then asked Crosby what the tune “said”. Crosby replied, “Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!” and went on to write three verses and a refrain for it:

vs.1
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.


Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.


vs.2
Perfect submission, perfect delight!
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.


(Refrain)


vs.3
Perfect submission, all is at rest!
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with his goodness, lost in His love.
(Refrain)

I just copied and pasted this from a website, but this is one of my favourite hymns, and I love the story of how it was written. Fanny Crosby is amazing.

tydwbleach said...

I have sang (sung) that hymn in church. I am Unitarian not that church but in Methodist Churches as a kid. I like that one. Always have.

Anonymous said...

I really don't care if its not PC, my favorite will always be "Onward Christian Soldiers."