Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tryndee Nayme Game: Webster's Edition

Greetings, Drummer Nation!

There has been a hiatus from Dada Drummer briefly whilst I frolicked in golden fields and ate figs fed to me by elfin handmaids. This is what happens when you get tenure—who knew?

But I’m back. And I’m ticked off about names I’ve seen on the back of local car windows. You know, the ones over icons of soccer balls, soft ball, limber gymnast silhouettes, and/or pom-poms. The thing that’s really pissing me off is the spelling choices. When did we decide as a nation that it was OK to insert irrelevant H’s, Y’s, and any manner of vowels in perfectly well-spelled given names?

Khaytlynn

Brahndyn

Emmaleighanna

We don’t do this to other nouns. Imagine…

bhayguls and kreyme xees

paypher and pynsyls

But if this is where America is headed, I think you and I need to lead the way. Goodness knows you’re smarter than the cre8tiv namers out there fouling up kindergarten rosters with there inventions. So your Tryndee Nayme Game for the week is to generate the most inventive spelling for a standard English first name.

Sic ‘Em Drummers.




11 comments:

DAN BUCK said...

Elizabeth spelled: ~

Coco said...

Coahcoah
Milyssahh
Peethir
Haysoos

Oh, and for Stephanie: @$#*^!!!

My roommate gets called that a lot, and instead of being pronounced like the usual spelling of Stephanie, it's pronounced like an "F" word I don't like to say.

The Dada Drummer said...

"Haysoos" just made me spit coffee on the keyboard. Brava!

Coco said...

If there's one thing I've learned from Joel Osteen and all those churches with Starbucks in them, it's that the Jee Man likes to be trendy, too.

DAN BUCK said...

In honor of the internet age, my children with updated names:

e-lijah
iSaac

Anonymous said...

Because I do love an oddly placed accent mark, and I enjoy rAnDom cApitaL L'Etters, I submit:

M'haahrgrytte'
Ah'Liyz'aBeythe
KChath'a Rhynne

It was so hard to actually type these that I cannot think of witty scenarios to go with each name ;)

If I could figure out how to put that little double dot thingy over a letter, I would have done something a la Motley Crue.

Anonymous said...

Though he'd been warm enough, the rough ploughman had a cough when he was through.

Anonymous said...

M'aygh-reehe (Mary)
Jhahen'n (John)

Reminds me of Irish-always wanted to name my Patrick "Pahdraig", but I knew the Drummer would not be pleased.

Anonymous said...

lynhdzhee.

sometimes i forgot my login for blogger. oh well.

-lindsay

Nate and Maren Records said...

Mhighcgkyel (Michael)

WI_Dilettante said...

A little late 'cuz we've been cavorting in Palm Springs and Disneyland:

Schaehnnhynn = Shannon auf Deutsch

Llawrrieyb (the "b" is silent, of course)