Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Name Fail

AAAAAAAAAAA!! I just found a truly awful baby name web site. Terrible. Gross. Possibly a little evil. Go ahead: check it out now. I'll wait.

I knew it was going to get ugly when the main categories were "Cool" "Unique" and "Modern." Bad signs!

Then I see that the "featured" names today are Zhenson and Braxtany. I'm not making this up. Thank goodness the author helpfully indicates the intended genders since the names themselves have no interest in giving information about the named individual (except for that his/her parents were bat shit crazy).

Other gems are buried in the site. Here is a samplar plate of naming HORROR...

Ethnee
Harkness
Kadiance
Skyden
Wynter

Bascom
Drachen
Faxon
Navy
Rykken
Zen

I particularly enjoy the names on this site that seem like prescription drug brands:

Anaxana
Clarion
Paxtyn
Rathien
Quade
Trezdon

And please don't leave the site before checking out the goddess-awful list of "Mythical Baby Names." It includes winners such as AVATAR, EXCALIBUR, MEDUSA, and SAGA. I am NOT at all comforted by the fact that these names are, evidently, intended for mythical babies. I mean, their mythical friends will still make fun of them. And their mythical teachers will never know how to pronounce their stupid name. And they will lose out on mythical jobs because they seem to have been named by Ren-Fair crazed drug users.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

I totally get the long list of plants and wines under the hippie section. I mean, what decent, boozing hippie wouldn't name their baby after a tree or a good chardonnay?

But Bruin? Crucifer? Bad names, true. But bad hippie names?

Shannon said...

I've reviewed the inspiring hippie section and am one thousand percent certain my partner supports naming our twins Azalea & Zinfandel.

WI_Dilettante said...

And I am one thousand percent certain that I have the name of a very good divorce attorney around here somewhere. Battle? It won't even be a custody skirmish.

(Great to have you back in full swing, Dada Drummer!)

Beeki said...

I think that there should be a website where baby names are chosen from word verification options.

Mine right now: Congsce (perhaps a variation on Constance?)

Makes about as much sense!

Laurie said...

Golly -- right now that would make me "Cowse" -- a little too bovine even for this Wisconsin native.

Anonymous said...

"Forccard" is my word verification. I think it's in the same name family as "Harrison" and "Cooper".

DAN BUCK said...

Ethnee Myth, myth - Yeth?
Harkness When angels appear to Keanu Reeves, this is what he says.
Kadiance A legal term: "I done been granted a kadiance on my lewd and lascivious."
Skyden The secret weapon of a Bond villian named "Professor Cumulus." "Set the SKY-DEN 3000 to Unpleasant Drizzle."
Wynter This is just jumb as shit.

Bascom A brand name for ascot manufacturers.
Drachen This is a proposed rollar coaster at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
Faxon Office Carpet Color
Navy This kid will have to be gay. Even if he's not.
Rykken This kid will L.A.R.P. professionally.
Zen This kid will have ADHD.