Friday, February 15, 2008

Place Names as First Names

I have been thinking a lot lately about place names given as baby names. The choice is old. After all, Florence and Virginia are not new additions to the naming circuit. But in recent weeks I have heard of the arrival of both a baby "Canada" and a baby "Kansas". Trendeeeee baby naming sites abound with inventive--and increasingly popular--place names. Consider the 90s trends of Dakota, Sierra, and Montana. The last couple of years have seen a spike in off-beat choices like Brooklyn, Boston, and Indiana. And of course entertainment abounds with examples of this style: Paris, London, Ireland, China, India.

I am trying hard here people (see below for more on the Drummer's Lenten promise to tell people they're stupid a little less often) but I can't like these. Not a one. Not at all.

Are there any place names out there that you loyal drummers can think of which are NOT stupid? Send them in! And I don't mean "technically" place names. Sophia may also be a place, but it is not in the category of "place name" and you know it.

While I await your feedback, I'll go for the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach and start picking a really awful place name to circulate on the baby name discussion boards. Use the poll here at Dada Drummer Headquarters to help me out!

17 comments:

Sharon L. Holland said...

The name Georgia is older than the state Georgia. So do you count it as a "place name"?

The Dada Drummer said...

Great question!! For me, that's definitely a non-place name. And a rather nice name at that!

Anonymous said...

Boy or girl, our first born (coincidentally due sometime within the Lent period) shall be named Thermopolis.

http://thermopolis.com/Relocate+to+Thermopolis.htm

Anonymous said...

Um, Shannon -- is there something you should tell me?

I'm going with Erin. Or perhaps Bologna.

Anonymous said...

My daughter is named Georgia Margaret. We call her Georgie. Both are family names (is there a place called Margaret? I don't know). She knows that there is a state called Georgia, but I don't think she is familiar with the Russian state of Georgia.

Love the naming contest scenarios, but cannot boggle at this level of sleep deprivation.

I thought Hillary and Barrack's baby should be named Rudy. Regardless of gender.

Excellent movie list. I also hate Beaches.

The Dada Drummer said...

Mrs. CL--

You get all manner of Dada Drummer gold stars for Georgia Margaret. It's an outstanding name!

Beaches is a good addition. Do you protest all crying movies? Where do you stand on STEEL MAGNOLIAS and TERMS OF ENDEARMENT for example??

The Dada Drummer said...

Laurie--

I know Erin is most definitely a place name by definition. Yet it has developed a life of its own so much that most people have no idea what it means. This causes Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger (BAY-singer?? BAH-singer? I never know!) to name that poor kid Ireland. Sigh. In other words, I don't think Erin functions as a placename any longer. Thoughts?

The Dada Drummer said...

Shannon--
Congrats on the upcoming arrival of the love child. Has some one already started a cult around this miracle child or should I do the launching? Two questions, though. 1) Will you call him/her "Thermie" or "Moppie"
2) How is it possible that rent on a two bedroom could be $250 ANYWHERE IN THE US???????

Anonymous said...

I can't account for the naming habits of the "stars," but the first Erins I knew in life were all of Irish descent, so someone once knew what they were on about. And I'm thinking that most folks aren't thinking of the capital city of Wisconsin when they name their kids Madison.

But mostly, I really just needed Erin to set up Bologna. No takers?

The Dada Drummer said...

At least all the kids in her clas would know how to spell it...

Anonymous said...

Shannon is also a place name in Ireland.

WI_Dilettante said...

And a river runs through it.

Anonymous said...

Less dignified than being named for Ireland's longest waterway but really my mother was simply enamored of an "adorable" A&W carhop in Casper, Wyoming named Shannon.

Grizham said...

I am still waiting for Spokane to be a name

Grizham said...

What about names like Salem, or Raleigh?

Coco said...

Kiev.

Bonus points if it's a fat kid.

WI_Dilettante said...

Dijon -- goes well with Bologna. Great for fraternal twins.