Monday, August 11, 2008

#18

Michelle Duggar is pregnant again. This makes baby #18.

Of course its none of my business, but I have to say I worry about this woman's health. How can this be OK? She's will have been pregnant 162 months by the time #18 is done. This family's dedication to enlarging their family makes me ask, "just because you CAN do something does that mean you SHOULD??" I really hope she is OK during this pregnancy and birth.

Again, it's really none of my business.

But here's what IS my business. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have made some drastic naming mistakes!

To me the most exciting thing about having so many kids would be the opportunity to think of names for them all!! So what did Jim Bob and Michelle do with this awesome opportunity? They decided early on to limit the naming palate to just "J" names. What!?!?!?! The results? Entirely too many "--iah" names for the boys (JOSIAH, JEDIDIAH, and JEREMIAH), both a JOY-ANNA and JOHANNAH (that's not confusing) , and the unfortunate spelling choice JINGER. Sigh. The Discovery channel has now made an online poll to help name baby #18 but there's only so much we can do with the options available.

Do you think the would consider letting me start over and rename the whole group? We could make a reality show out of the experience. Someone call TLC!!


If I were able to name 18 babies in one family, here's my brood:
Charlie, Graham, Theo, Miles, Owen, Henry, Leo, Malcolm, Peter
June, Charlotte, Ruby, Rosemary, Amelia, Zoe, Mary-Grace, Beatrice, Vivian

Now if I had to give my 18 precious darlings names that all start with same first letter--here's the roll call:
Samuel, Simon, Savion, Stewart, Salvatore, Stephen, Sullivan, Silas, Schuyler
Sophia, Seraphina, Shannon, Sadie, Susannah, Selah, , Stella, Silvia, & Sunday Rose (hee hee)

Whew! That was hard. Why did I pick "S"? Can you do better? Let's hear YOUR lists!!!

15 comments:

Shannon said...

18? Wow. I'm weak at just the thought so I'm escaping into the fictional safety zone of Flannery O'Connor's 18 kids if lupus hadn't cut her life far too short.

Justus
Abram
Gleb (because Flannery would've totally watched Olympic synchronized swimming)
Eleazor
Joses
Abner
Wesley
Rufus
Zeb
Bernice
Hagar
Naomi
Charity
Eunice
Faith
Abigail
Ruby
Drusilla

WI_Dilettante said...

I knew a family with 18 surviving kids, all "M" names. #18 was named Mahalo. (The mother had 21 pregnancies.)

I'm not as inventive or imaginative as either our gracious hostess with the mostess' or Shannon. In addition, my own thought processes continue to be hampered by the brain injury I sustained the first time Dada Drummer praised the name Sunday Rose.

I think I'd probably just number them, 1-18. Then I could just dress them in sports jerseys and I'd know which one was which.

Shannon said...

I think numbering them is the smartest solution. Of course, as Packers fans, we'll just have to skip over #4.

The Dada Drummer said...

Laurie...

I never PRAISED the name Sunday Rose. I just said I didn't HATE it.

--The Dada Drummer

Anonymous said...

Well, the Duggars have totally overlooked one of the COOLEST "J" names: Judge. :)

I think I'd try to go with the letter M--I've already used several of those with my kids. I know some of these might be confusing if you used these in real life. Like Mae and Maeve. But this is MY imaginary 18 kids and I can name them what I want!

Boys-
Mark
Magnus
Maguire
Major
Malachy
Malloy
March
Marshall
Mitch (Mitchell)


Girls-
Mamie
Marcy
Mariel
Marnie
Miata (just kidding)
Millie (Millicent)
Mae
Mary
Maeve
Maisie

WI_Dilettante said...

Dada Drummer --

True enough, yet it managed to find its way on to your "S" list. Although I now note -- with great relief -- the parenthetical giggle.

How did I overlook it earlier? Am I now not only cerebrally damaged but humor impaired?

Or was it all simply a dada ploy designed to befuddle the mind of an agitprop devotee and show tune acolyte?

Ach, mein Kopf tut weh!

(I'm still going with numbers.)

WI_Dilettante said...

Hmmm -- are Dada Drummer and Charles Boyer one and the same? Does that make me Ingrid Bergman? (Don't I wish!)

Follow the evidence and decide for yourselves:


http://gallery.me.com/shandrog#100076/Sunday-20Rose&bgcolor=black

The Dada Drummer said...

True--I didn't say simply "I don't hate it", (I forgot what I said to be honest--the Drummer pronounces judgement on so much she loses track!) But does "I actually like it" count as praise???? That still seems a stretch.

And I do still kinda like it.

But them again I'm drunk. Again.

The Dada Drummer said...

By the way Dolan Goddess -- love your list!!!

Can I be god-drummer to baby Magnus???

WI_Dilettante said...

Temperance
Abstinence
Prudence
Verity
Resolve
Constance
Fortitude
Moderate
Steadfast


Just half-way there and I'm already exhausted. I wouldn't make a good Puritan.

The Dada Drummer said...

Ooooooo! The Drummer loves virtue names (though interestingly she dislikes most virtues). Look for a coming post on the topic--it's been in the works but was preempted by the Duggars!

Anonymous said...

Because i was always last in line at school, I would want my children to head up the lunch line.

Ashton
Alton
Andrew
Alec
Aaron
Aiden
Alex
Austen
August

Ashlyn
Audrey
Amber
Averyn
Ainslee
Alexis
Abbey
Adria
Alanna

:)Whitney

Anonymous said...

I think Laurie has the right idea on the number system, but I wouldn't be so obvious. Perhaps a foreign language ("Uno, Dos... come here now!"), or even a made up language ("Kvar and Kvin - you give Unu back her doll RIGHT NOW!"). For some real fun, I might even go Pig Latin ("Ixsay! Entay! Go look under the trailer and see what all that noise is.")

No, no - I have it! Go Alphabetical! Not alphabetized, but the actual alphabet:

Aiee
Bee
Scee
Dhe
Eie
Eff
Ghe
Aitch
Aye
Jay
Kay
Ell
Emuh
In
Oh
Pi
Cue
Are

Your kids will love you forever!

The Dada Drummer said...

Big Brother--

BRILLIANT!! Why has no one though of this sooner??

Anonymous said...

Eighteen kids? Sheesh, one's enough for me!

Ella
Zoey
Gemma
Ruari
Amelie
Lorelei
Alice
Mia
Sadie
*****
Jude
Aedan
Kian
Declan
Reilly
Owen
Beck
Liam
Morgan