Thursday, August 14, 2008

Virtue is a Virtue

The Dada Drummer has what the on-line naming message boards call a “GP”…a guilty pleasure. I love virtue names. Virtue names are popping up all around the Drummer’s world this summer. A new friend has a daughter called Felicity. There was a girl called Comfort on this season of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. And one of The Boy’s tae kwon do classmates is named Patience (um, it’s a BOY).

More traditional examples of this style of name include: Charity, Chastity, Clemency, Comfort, Faith, Felicity, Grace, Honor, Hope, Joy, Patience, and Prudence. I would be happy to see any of these on a baby…except CHASTITY. Awesome virtue. Cruel name. The rest rock.

But I especially dig hardcore Puritan style virtue names like Abundance, Justice, Innocence, Mercy, Modesty, Purity, Resolve, Silence, Sincerity, Temperance, Truth, Verity, and Wisdom. Don’t get me wrong--I would make fun of someone who actually named a baby one of these names, but DAMN, I love the names anyway!!

Verging on hippy nature names are the totally groovy off-beat virtue name choices such as Blessing, Bliss, Charisma, Courage, Friend, Love, Peace, and Serenity. Pretty? Sure. But the Drummer can’t stomach such sweetness. Ick.

You know, I bet I could invent some amazing new millennium virtue names! Optimistically, I’d pick Green, Reader, and Athletic. Pessimistically (and that’s the Drummer all over) I would say that our 2008 virtue names are probably more like Wealthy and Famous.

I’ll let Elizabeth Taylor have the last word on this posting: “The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they’re going to have some pretty annoying virtues.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other good 2008 virtue names:

"Hott"
"Over Medicated"
"Apath... Athap... Hey, how do you spell that... meh, screw it, who cares?"

The Dada Drummer said...

I thought of some more....

Clever
Witty
Sardonic
Ironic

They could all work. My standard test is to put it with the last name Jones: "Witty Jones" or "Sardonic Jones". This fool-proof test is derived from the name of a kid I went to jr. high school with--"Destiny Jones" (Dolan Goddess--remember that???)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I luuuurve the name Bliss. Please don't hate me. Yes, I remember Destiny--she was one of my first friends when I moved to the area. Didn't have to wait long after to be pulled in by the charismatic tractor beam that was the Dada Drummer.

Anonymous said...

Inspired by the olympic game virtues...

Strength
Speed
Flex(ible)
Courage
Grace
Poise
Humble
Power

--Whit

Shannon said...

Posting THE new millennium virtue on behalf of NBC:

Phelps

Anonymous said...

Solvency
Litigious

The Dada Drummer said...

Solvency Jones

PERFECT!

DAN BUCK said...

Meta

WI_Dilettante said...

Fierce

WI_Dilettante said...

Mechtgund.

Okay, not actually a virtue, but don't you think it sounds like it could be one? You know: "She showed astounding Mechtgund in the face of unfathomable pain."

To be deserving of such a name...