Saturday, September 15, 2007

Baby Naming Forum

Gentle Readers,

The Dada Drummer is in danger of being tarred and feathered in another on-line community. I fear that the good people at the Baby Names Hold forum are not going to suffer my posts for too long.

Here's the latest.

What do you think of these name combos:
Milana Violet Pearl
OR
Scarlett Eden Primrose

I think they sound like totally fake soap opera characters. Or, even worse, like ridiculous romance novel names. Baby naming doesn't have to be about you showing how cute or artistic you can be. "Unique" naming does not make your child a happier, more well-adjusted, or more successful human being. Good parenting does that. Being overly precious in your baby name choice just makes YOU feel special. It's selfish. Give the child a break. Let them be a person. Give them a solid name rather than your outdated creative writing project.


What do you think? Is it too much? I had written a much harsher comment originally but edited it before posting because, well, I didn't want to make Jesus sad. I really like Him.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the web address for this forum? I want to go and back you up!

The Dada Drummer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dada Drummer said...

Have at it iplawguy!

www.babyhold.com/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,50/

Anonymous said...

Hey Dada, I like your blog, I found it through Osler & Boogie links. I completely agree with your take on baby names. I'm a nurse, and experience has shown me to NEVER, EVER name anything Angel. It's the kiss of death.

tydwbleach said...

Ok I knew a REALLLY nerdy girl in HS named Milana..... BUT she was an amazing singer. People called her.... Milana Falana.

The Dada Drummer said...

It's note the "Milana" by itself that offends. It's the string of preciousness..."Milana Violet Pearl" Ick. I need an insulin shot after that much syrupy sweetness.

Anonymous said...

The name Milana reminds me that my former assistant agreed to her husband's request that they name their first child Alyssa because he really liked Alyssa Milano, the actress.

Not surprisingly they split up when the girl was less than 4 yrs old.

Nate and Maren Records said...

Dada drummer-

People need to know when they're being stupid. We can try gently showing them, but in the world of "everyone's good enough", sometimes a good slap "upside the head" is the only thing that will get through. Continue the good work.

The Medievalist said...

DDDrummer,
I couldn't agree more about stupid baby names. Just pick something nice and solid that everyone knows to both pronounce and spell, and the kid will not have a traumatic childhood. Latin names are always good, but not Welsh or Irish or Basque. How would you like to go through life being called Gorko, Eguzki, or Aitor?

tydwbleach said...

I knew of a kid named... are you ready?

Sputnik Eisenhower Watkins.

AMAZING basketball player....

Anonymous said...

Dada Drummer--

Did you abandon your blog already?

Unknown said...

There are some names that really cycle around. They are popular, then not so popular, and then return to their popularity status. Here are some baby names I doubt will ever comeback to any great success.

--------------
kimrennin
SuperBabyGuide