Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hell is Other People's Bad Baby Names

Oh. Dear. The Dada Drummer discovered an on-line forum for people who want to discuss the unusual spellings they're thinking of/have used for their babies. This made the Dada Drummer's blood pressure go up. Below you can see some gems from the forum along with my useful responses.

Cute”

My son just named his baby girl Peytonn. It's cute with two N's.

No. It’s not. It’s stupid. With two N’s.


“MY SONS UNIQUE NAME”

LOVED THE SPELLING OF THE WELSH NAME RHIAIN, BUT WHEN I HAD A BOY I DECIDED TO ALTER THE SPELLING, HIS NAME IS RHIAN, WITH A SLASH OVER THE 'A'.ITS PRONOUNCED- 'RE-ON'. EVERYONE COMMENTS ON IT AND LOVES IT. ITS A WELSH/IRISH NAME.

Wht t-he h’ell are yo talKing bo/ut?


“Cute Baby Names”
I want to name my kids Brayden / Braedyn / and Brylee/Brileigh / Bryleigh / So many ways to spell them.

That's what you want to do. Interesting. Well, I want to smack you for having rotten taste in baby names. But I’m going to refrain. Why don’t you do the same?


“help with boy name”
We have 2 names for a boy picked out but are unsure of how to spell them.
Rese/Reese Benjamin
Rhen/Wren Robert
For a girl we have Bryn Elainna picked out.

You don’t spell them either way. Because you don’t use them. Because they’re stupid.


“is this too long of a name?”
I love the name Emiliana, which is long enough as it is, but I like it spelled as Emmaleighyanna, too long?

Oh, sweet heavenly Jesus, yes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The book Freakonomics has a section on demographics and names. Almost as funny as this.

Nate and Maren Records said...

Dear Dada Drummer-

In my past life (i.e., before moving from Waco to M*rsh*ll (name altered to protect the innocent)), our Sunday School class had children named Cayden, Braden (same family), and Aiden (different family who thought the other two were "too cute" to pass up on).

May God forgive M*ren and me if someday E#wyn falls into the category of stupidly overused & overspelled names...

N@te

The Dada Drummer said...

Nate:

The Dada Drummer knows a little eight-year-old boy currently on a baseball team. This team of eleven boys has THREE Bradens.

Think about it.

That's 27% Braden.

Plus, there's a Hayden.

Sigh.

tydwbleach said...

I KNOW I wASD GOING TO BRING UP THAT BOOK...