Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Martyr's Work is Never Done

To those two or three people out there who have checked this blog in the last week, I apologize for returing your kind interest with my silence. I have been busy slaying dragons--tiring work and rather messy.

But I have encountered several names since we last spoke. Special thanks, by the way, to the reader who called me (don't ask how) to report the sighting of a badly spelled name. It was Kodi. For a girl. Sigh.

Here are the two most notable name discoveries:

CANADA
No. It's not what you think. This is a baby name. The Dada Drummer heard from a neighbor of the impending arrival in her family of a new baby who will be named, that's right, Canada. It's a boy, if that matters. This choice, based I am told on the fact that little Canada's grandfather was born in the North Country, is participating in a baby trend of place names. Nursery school rosters around the USA include names like Boston, Paris, Brooklyn, China, Africa, Indiana, and Montana.

Considering the popularity of this trend and the apparent no-holds-barred attitude of Canada's parents, I would like to put forth some suggestions:
Cleveland
Texas
Tupelo
Juneau
Iowa

What do you think? I hesitate even to make jokes like this. They're probably on someone's short list somewhere.

FOX
The Dada Drummer knows a very nice young man who revealed the shocking information that his newly-born nephew has been named Fox. It's a memorable name, and has lots of character to be sure, but it strikes me as a lot to live up to. How can you be an insignificant Fox? Or a shy Fox? Or a geeky Fox? I hope Fox is a magnetic man when he grows up. And I hope he's not a redhead.

This name, inspired by the hero in X Files, is of the same trend as other "noun" baby names. Like Apple. I have some names that might be on the cutting edge of this fad:
Goose
Circle
Dove
Panda
Lemon
Again, I worry that these might sound reasonable to some parents. Do you think its possible?

I have an idea, readers! Let's conduct a social experiment. I am going to visit the offensive baby naming forum which I've told you about and offer these names for discussion as if I plan to use them. We can see what response they get and, even more significantly, we can all try to see if they begin to show up on actual babies. You read it here first! If Tupelo, Circle, or Panda catch on it's all due to the FOXY actions of your Dada Drummer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never known if it was true, but there was a story about two brothers name Lemongelo and Orangelo.

For Orange and Lemon Jello.